Tuesday, April 26, 2011

WWJD?

Easter just passed as did conversations about Lenten promises and accidentally eating meat on Friday. How did these topics overtake Jesus' ministry and sacrifice as the two most popular discussion points during this holiest of times?

Even though I taught Catholocism to children, I don't consider myself a Catholic. I choose not to put a title on my beliefs, rather I prefer individuality over institution. I'm not a pagan, a non-believer, or agnostic. I simply agree with Jesus; The kingdom of God is inside us. I don't think he could care less if you accidentally ate ham with your egg sandwich on Good Friday or that you gave up eating Junior mints for 40 days. If you know anything about his life and teaching, he is far more concerned with how you treat others than simply following the rules. "Treat others the way you want to be treated" is one of the most fundamental models one can live by, yet it is ignored by many "religious" people. The quality of your spirit is not measured by self-discipline but the treatment of your fellow man no matter how badly they may have wronged you in the past. What bothers me the most about religious holidays is not the overflowing materialism we are consumed with, nor the cartoon figures of the Easter Bunny or Santa that are meant to manipulate children. What angers me is the misinformed men and women that claim to be pious even though they are so blinded by the human laws (no meat on Friday, fasting, going to church etc.) that they miss the real point. If you choose to practice these exercises or not is not my concern. As long as you are a good person that follows in the model of the man Christianity is shaped after, than I am on board with you. Once the latter is ignored, I begin to lose faith in you.

On a lighter yet related note, I just finished reading the book "Lamb" by Christopher Moore. It is a humerous attempt at filling in the "lost years" of the New Testament. The Gospel is told through the eyes of Biff, Jesus' childhood pal. It covers their early years causing trouble in and around Jerusalem as Joshua (Jesus) learns that he is the messiah. Then, as he begins to question the meaning of this gift/burden, they leave the Holy Land to search for the 3 wisemen present at his birth. They travel to the east learning Confucinism, Buddhism, and Hinduism before bringing the learnings back and forming teachings. This is meant to explain why Jesus' teachings were so radical to the fundamentalist Jews that eventually condemned him. Some of the jokes were forced, but overall it was a funny story that provides an alternative account at what could have been the reason Jesus was one of the original countercultural leaders in history. It is certainly worth the read if you're like me and think most people are missing the point as to what he actually did for us.

9 comments:

  1. What really angers me is that you were allowed to teach Catholicism without knowing how to spell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather a child be taught about loving one another than how to spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather they not be mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. Notice anonymous #2 didn't respond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did make a good point but your annoying. Couldn't you just enjoy the blog? Obviously it was a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously YOU'RE okay with typos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, real grammatical sticklers out there. If you look at my previous posts, I scrupulously edit my writing. Maybe it was my subconscious distaste for religious conservatism that led toward that typo...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, can you please refrain from posting anything unsuitable? Im not sure my former students or coworkers will see this site, but I would like anyone with a problem with me to confront me in a more private venue. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe what I suspect might be true, but I am very late (76) starting to blog, but "Change the way you think about reality" has been my mantra since you might have been a student in my class and a top notch infielder on Gerry's team, no? The teacher you spoke about in one of your blogs is a friend of the teacher who likes to leap on desks, no? You're on the "WAY". Good luck. Charlie Mc

    ReplyDelete