Sunday, September 26, 2010

Life at the X...

Here is a bit of information about Xaverian Brothers High School:
  • Catholic college preparatory school for boys in grades 9 - 12

  • A Xaverian Brothers (C.F.X.) sponsored school

  • Over 900 students enrolled from over 60 communities

  • Established in 1962 in Westwood, Massachusetts

  • 10,000 alumni living throughout the world

  • A highly educated faculty; 88% hold graduate degrees

  • 82% of all students taking Advanced Placement Exams scored 3 or higher

  • 44 extracurricular activities allow students at all levels to be involved in the Xaverian Brothers High School Community 

  • The Campus Ministry Department conducts 18 volunteer programs allowing students to further their spiritual development 

  • 16 Division 1 athletic programs allow student-athletes to compete with the best in Massachusetts 

  • 16 Advanced Placement Courses

  • Many campus improvements including Campus Ministry Center, Music Center, renovated Theater, renovated Cafeteria, and new athletics facilities

  • Xaverian is equipped with eight teaching computer labs designated for Computer Science, Modern Language, Science, Music, and the Art Center


  • Those are some pretty serious credentials, but to be honest, I was blissfully unaware of just about all this information upon entering. The information I carried was that it was known for having a rigorous academic curriculum, a challenging and uber-competitive athletic program, and NO girls. All three of these things were extreme deapartures from the friendly confines of Canton Public Schools. I was placed into mostly honors level courses so I knew that I'd be challenged academically. I had heard rumors of over hundreds of young men going out for every athletic team so I knew I'd be challenged athletically. I knew few students entering my first day so I knew I'd be challenged socially. Overall I knew my inate competitive nature and the confidence I had built up would get its first real test.

    My freshman year of high school can be assessed in a couple different ways. Academically, I did fairly well, receiving second honors (80 average or above) for the entire year. I was very proud of this feat because I accomplished it while also excelling athletically. I had made and contributed to the football, basketball and baseball teams, the three most popular sports at Xaverian. Socially however, I had failed . I finished the year without making many friends, and worse, without even trying. Even at single-sex schools your social status is defined by whom you sit with in the cafeteria. To sum up my freshman year, I was still sitting with my friends and aquaintances from Canton. I had a very difficult time transitioning into my new setting, and as a result, I was unable to grow. To describe my attitude as poor would be an understatement. I had a very strong appetite for socialization and after one full year I was left starving.

    During the next few years I ended up adapting much better but my development came very slowly. I quit basketball after one year because I felt burnt out. Varsity football turned out to be a disaster as I never fully adopted the mindset that translated to success on the football field. I called it a career after my sophomore year. The one sport that I stuck with was baseball, the sport that had been a part of my life from the very beginning and the one I wanted to pursue at the highest of levels. A few injuries had curbed my progress as a player but my childhood dream had remained strong. The new addition to my life, which came at a time that I had pushed my jock characterization to the side was leadership. After quitting football and basketball my hands felt very idle. I needed a new focus and direction outside of the classroom, and for the first time of my life it wasn't athletics. I decided to join a program called Spirit Hawk that was designed to allow students of all ages to develop and share ideas of faith, politics, current events and basically anything else on their minds in a small group setting. I joined as a sophomore, but during my junior and senior years I took on a leadership role. I also began to lead and design retreats, part religious, but mostly social develoment. I learned at this time that I had gained a lot of wisdom for a 17-year-old, and more importantly, the skills required to share that wisdom. I didn't know it then, but this was the very beginning of my teaching career.

    Also at this time I began experimenting with alcohol and I took a liking to it quite quickly. I had always been a reserved person but drinking made me feel more outgoing and more confident. Drinking also allowed me to get back in good favor with my friends from Canton. Not that they were a bunch of lushes, but going to parties helped me feel like I was back in a group. I will get back to this at a later date, but I will say now that partying became a very big part of my life from this point on. By the end of my senior year I was a much different character then the one I had walked in as. It took me a while but I was able to grow in all three facets of life; cognitively, physically, and socially. I developed many new friendships, some of which I still cherish today. I also received guidance from teachers and administrators who gave me invaluable advice that has helped carry me to where I am today. My journey through high school, like all trips, had its peaks and troughs, but it helped form the man that I am today.

    Some of the advice I received: (I'm sure there's more, but this is what stands out)
    •  Keep a journal
    • Physical conflict will only lead to trouble
    • You don't need to prove yourself to anyone but yourself
    • Don't use cliches, come up with something original
    • Your faith is unique, it must be formed independently to you
    • Everybody sees the world through their own unique worldview

    No comments:

    Post a Comment