Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Origin of Zeal...

During the opening orientation at Xaverian Brothers High School, we were welcomed as incoming freshman of the graduating class of 2003. We listened as many teachers and administrators spoke to us in an attempt to give us a glimpse of the wisdom they would be passing onto us. It was obvious that they spent much time in choosing their words, editing their diction, and rehearsing the inflection of their voices, but 10 years later I can honestly say I remember very little, sorry guys. The one thing that I have carried with me though was an address given by the principal of the freshman class, Michael Welch, who is now the Headmaster at Saint John's High School in Shrewsbury, MA. He began by explaining to us the importance of what he called our worldview. He defined worldview as the unique perspective that each of us had developed through the first 13 years of our existence. Without knowing it, I was already being trained in the art of seeing the world through different lenses by trying to empathize with the diverse perspectives of the people around me. He continuously emphasized that although our worldviews were diverse, they would be converging in this unique learning experience we were about to embark on. He then went onto explain the Xaverian Brothers' philosophy on their approach to education. Their Mission Statement is as follows:

Xaverian Brothers High School, a Catholic college-preparatory school for boys, cherishes its identity as a Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School. Drawing on the traditions of the past, living in the strength of the present and preparing for the needs of the future, Xaverian Brothers High School is a community of faith and learning that is committed to developing the integration of spiritual, moral, intellectual, physical, emotional, cultural and social dimensions within each young man. Through participation in academic, extracurricular, athletic and campus ministry programs, a Xaverian graduate will be prepared to meet the demands of higher education, to contribute to society, and to answer the call of Christian service.

What was left out of this statement, and what Mr. Welch wanted to add was the element of zeal. It was the way in which we, as students, should approach every new challenge in our lives. The word zeal is defined as a fervent or enthusiastic devotion, often extreme or fanatical in nature, as to a religious movement, political cause, ideal, or aspiration. Now, I didn't follow Mr. Welch's advice at first, it has taken me many years to understand it's importance. I spent many years aspiring for goodness and avoiding mediocrity, but what I lacked was zeal. I can unhappily say that I have never given anything the 110% effort it takes to become great. Fortunately, I have done pretty well for myself up to this point, but I am done accepting it. In choosing the namesake for this blog I wanted to embrace the new approach I have adopted in my relentless pursuit toward greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment