Saturday, September 25, 2010

My First Major Plot Twist...

Up until this point, my setting had been chosen for me by my parents. The homes I lived in, the school I attended, and the time in which my life had occurred came as a result of someone else's decisions. I had attended Canton Public Schools from pre-school through 8th grade and it was now time to decide where I would be furthering my studies. Going into the 7th grade, my mother had forced me, against my will, to take the ISEE exam. This was for entrance into the Independent School system. These schools were all private, well touted, and comparitively priced to many private universities, so nothing materialized from that. It was a good experience though because I was able to see what other schools were out there, and what it would take to be a student at one of them. Eighth grade came and I continued to excel academically, athletically, and socially. I had fully intended on moving on with my friends to Canton High School but something didn't feel right. Although Canton was my home, and I loved my friends, I felt as if I wasn't being pushed to reach my full potential, rather I was able to basically coast to all my achievements. In the spring of 1999, heading toward graduation, I watched as many of my peers were admitted to some of the more prestigious private schools in the area. I knew that my skills could match, and even exceed theirs, so I took it as a challenge. I knew my parents would support me so I went home and told my mother that I wanted to take the entrance exam. Not only did she support me but she was elated that I was taking initiative toward my future. Although it was very late in the process, and there were very few spots left open, they allowed me to take the test anyway. I remember taking the exam early on a warm, spring morning. There were a few others in the room at the time, and I remember carrying myself with confidence knowing, in the back of my mind, that it was a  long-shot for me to be accepted.  I went home knowing that I had done what I could. A week later I received a call from Xaverian Brothers High School informing me that I had been accepted. My emotions were torn because I knew I had my first major decision in front of me. Do I take this opportunity to move out of my comfort zone and challenege myself, or do I go the more comfortable route, please my friends, and always wonder what could have been? I decided, after a few weeks of deliberation to take the road less traveled and enroll at XBHS. I look back now and couldn't even imagine another way...

The Road Not Taken- by Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment