Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Belated New Years Toast

New Years Eve;  the promise of a good house party, a midnight kiss, and the inevitable blackout with your friends, whats not to love? For me, it is the way that the media looks back on the previous year, the history that was made, and the people that we've lost.  People cry about getting older, talk about what fun times they had, and make forced resolutions that they probably won't keep (just take a look at any gym's attendance in January compared to May). Im not above this custom, in fact I've done it for years, but life as a producer has changed me. It's so easy as a student to simply fall in line with the flow of the masses because you spend so much time socializing and with streaming media. However, once you enter the rat race your vision becomes more clear. The past has very little bearing on your life because there is nothing you can do about it. There is just too little space in our brains to dwell on events and circumstances we cannot control. Instead I choose to focus all possible positive energy on the present, and put myself in best position to succeed in the future. So, in celebration of this sentiment, here is a list of things I look forward to in 2011:
  • Learning more about the flooring business.
  • Contributing to the growth of The Carpet Workroom.
  • Learning as much as possible about owning and managing my own business and actually putting it into action.
  • Helping my sister move in the right direction after making the wise decision that as an 18-year-old girl with a blurry vision of the future, a $50,000/year education was not for her.
  • Actually building a savings account.
  • Becoming more politically active, apathy has gotten me nowhere.
  • Not being taken advantage of by the Archdiocese of Boston.
  • Further persuing the ability to dunk a basketball.
  • My first coaching win of the year.
  • Visting the west coast for only the second time in 26 years.
  • Traveling to Asia so that I can actually make money as an ESL teacher.
  • Paying off some of my paralyzing student debt.
  • Learning how to dance Salsa.
  • Watching Carl Crawford and Adrien Gonzalez wearing Red Sox uniforms.
  • Growing out my hair to ridiculous lengths. Yup, you may even see me in a ponytail.
  • Refining my writing skills through this blog.
  • and probably hundreds of other things that I cannot possibly account for...
Here's to adapting, let us raise our glasses and make things happen in 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment