Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I don't want to die without any scars.

"You have a class of young strong men and women, and they want to give their lives to something.  Advertising has these people chasing cars and clothes they don't need.  Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they don't really need".  ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

I woke up this morning with an overwhelming urge to do something out of the ordinary...

Today I followed the same course of action, the same routine as I have done just about every morning since returning from my trip. I Was robbed of my dreams by an alarm, delayed the inevitable 5 minutes at a time with my snooze button, and eventually got up. I sloppily made my bed, brushed my teeth, and quickly ate a banana as I drove to the gym. I worked out for a little over an hour, returned home, showered, drank coffee, and drove to work. Luckily, I enjoy my job. Working for my father's business has been an epiphany of sorts. I get to exercise my creativity and follow my own schedule, while seeing my efforts directly leading to the success of the company. Unfortunately there are too many others out there that remain stifled by their restraining routines.

On this particular morning I got to thinking about how controlled everything is. Most of us are blindly and even more tortorously, knowingly following a path carved out by the trailblazers before us. As humans, we have an inate desire to explore, to hunt, to chase, to adventure, yet we have no avenue to exercise these desires. Some of us go to the gym, play sports, shop, eat, travel, take drugs, drink, have families in oder to fill this void in our souls. We have no great war that unites us, but we have a "great recession" that only inhibits us further. I can't stand hearing, "you can't do that, you can't afford it". That's bullshit, that's why we have credit (probably not the best attitude). As the population grows to obscene levels, and the number of leaches consuming the garbage that is thrown our way bythe media and advertising execs becomes the majority, we in the middle are restricted further and further.

Right now I want nothing more than to cause mayhem, to remind everyone that we are free, that we don't have to follow the rules and conventions set for us. We are more powerful than we think, and we are the ones getting in our own way. All of these thoughts reminded me of one of my favorite movies; Fight Club. In an interview in 1999, Oscar nominated director, David Fincher said this, "We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping.  There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore.  In that societal emasculation this everyman is created". Fincher's most recent fim, "The Social Network" is the most relevant and discussed fim of 2010. You can actually see the similarities between that and "Fight Club"; a young man fighting the conventional rules of society in order to create a unique idea, and creating mayhem in the process. Im not sure what my idea is yet, but I'd like to start by doing something completely out of the ordinary...

1 comment:

  1. like move to California, play beach volley ball and write movies?

    ReplyDelete